Brick Mason Career


A brick mason, also called a bricklayer, is a construction worker that specializes in working with bricks, concrete blocks and other related materials. A brick mason is an individual who uses knowledge of construction techniques to make brick chimneys, fireplaces, floors, incinerators, walls, old-fashioned sidewalks and other similar structures. This involves laying and binding brick and other materials like structural tiles, concrete blocks, glass blocks, cinder blocks and terra-cotta blocks with mortar or any other substances to build or repair partitions, sewers, walls, arches and other structures.

How to Become a Brick Mason

To be a brick mason, take your high school diploma to a recruitment agency, local construction union or contractor and ask for assistance. The point is, no special knowledge is required in this career and the best way to get aboard is through on-the-job training and apprenticeship program. Since you are expected to create adoring structures using bricks and mortar, interest in art and beauty is a big bonus. You will then need to choose your specialty are whether residential structures, material fabrication, firebrick lining, pavement etc.

Types, Description, Information

As an apprentice or trainee, your skills and knowledge may be very limited but with time and willingness, you will learn a lot from your superior. After about two to three years as an apprentice, you may be a qualified brick mason and fully enjoy the benefits of the trade. After this, with experience, a brick mason may climb further to be a masonry supervisor, a masonry contractor, a construction manager, or a building inspector with additional education.

Qualifications: Courses, Training, Certification

Some brick masons focus in fields such as furnace firebrick lining or residential structures while others perform a variety of brick works. Brick masons often hold at least a high school diploma and a technical certification, although it is not uncommon to find some with background in architecture as well. It is common to find a brick mason completing an apprenticeship with an experienced mason. Brick masons are usually trained by their employers. This will be another qualified and experienced brick mason.

Schools, Colleges, Universities

Although no special training is required, completing a formal masonry certificate program or an apprenticeship will prove to be very important. This is very precise business and attention to detail is very important. Colleges that offer training to Brick Masons include:

  1. Vatterott College and vocational training center–Ohio
  2. Palomar College –California
  3. Hinds Community College –¬†Mississippi
  4. Southern Maine Community College –Maine
  5. Bakersfield College –California

Job opportunities, Salaries and Recruitment

Approximately 25% of all brick masons in the market are self-employed according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, the rest 75% work for general contractors, restoration firms and construction companies. Brick masons were earning annual salaries ranging from $27,000 to $75,000 in 2008 according to a study carried out by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. On average a brick mason takes home $38,000 per year.

Category: Construction Careers

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

Sites That Link to this Post

  1. Construction Careers, Careers in Construction | Career Guidance | October 14, 2009

Leave a Reply


+ five = 11